Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Faith

Wow, it’s been a while since I have written…so much has happened and so many topics I could write about but faith is the one that God is teaching me about the most this week.

Faith…such a big topic…it goes hand in hand with trust. We just talked bout faith on Sunday night with my freshman girls at Ignition and it reminded me of how important having faith is. There are several good verses that go right along with this topic.

Hebrews 11:1 – “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”
Hebrews 11:6 – “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”

To me these are two very powerful verses. It is hard to know what faith is and to even have faith when it is based on something we cannot see right now. For example, right now I do not have a job that pays even half my bills. I had some money from unemployment saved up but that money is slowly dwindling. I am starting to worry about how I am going to pay my bills, pay for gas, groceries, get baby gifts, Christmas gifts, b-day presents etc. in the upcoming months. This world is so consumed with things and money that it is hard to live if you don’t have money. It is also hard to live in t his world if you don’t have faith. Because if you don’t have money and don’t have faith than what do you have to hope for. If you have faith, than you can pray and hope for God to provide you with what you need.

So this brings me back to the topic for today…I must have faith in my god that he will provide and keep his promises like he said he will. I have to trusts that these things will happen. If I don’t have faith, why would he reward me with the things that I need. I do not understand how people live in this broken, messed up economy of the world without God. God created us; he created the world and everything in it. Why wouldn’t you put your faith and trust in Him. That is the one thing t hat baffles me more than anything.

Matthew 17:21 – “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

At ignition this week we discussed the story of Abraham and Sarah and how God came to her and said they would have a baby in a year. Sarah laughed at what God had told them. Abraham was an old dude, almost 100 and Sarah was pretty old too, but a year went past and Sarah and Abraham had a baby named Isaac (which means laughter). Gen. 18:1-15, 21:1-7

Sarah laughed in disbelief, thinking, they are too old to have kids, they've prayed about this for a long time, why now. They had little faith...can God do the impossible? Absolutely! He kept his promise and Sarah had that baby a year later! This story spoke to me on Sunday night and to my girls and it made us realize that with God nothing is impossible (Matt 19:26). It also made us realize that he longs for this daily relationship with us of trust and faith.

If I don’t have faith that God is going to provide for me, or faith that he has a perfect plan, that I will get a job etc. then my life will be impossible because then I will be living this life alone, on my own strength…and that would be stupidity on my part when I have a higher being, named God who is walking next to me every moment of my life, guiding me, showing me, speaking to me about the things he wants me to do and the things he has promised me. So I don’t know about you, but I am definitely putting my faith in God today and every day.

God, I thank you sooooo much that you sent your son to die on the cross for our sins. So that we can have eternal life and live according to YOUR plan not our own. Thank you God for protecting us, keeping your promises, and loving us even when we fall short and sin. Lord, I put all of my faith in you today because you are my God and Savior. I know that you will provide for me in this tough time in your timing. Lord, open my eyes to what you have planned for me next. Thank you Lord, I love you! AMEN!

Below is from the Spirit of Prophecy bulletin that I receive each day...this is today’s. This is so relevant to this topic of faith and trust. God promises that he will be our shelter and safe haven from destructive storms but challenges are going to come. God will help us get through these challenges if we put our faith and trust in him. Read below and soak on this for the week.


Beloved, this is a time when you must deliberately refocus your faith so that your dependence and trust are not in the things of the world, but in that which is eternal. You can trust Me when I tell you that I will be your shelter and safe haven from destructive storms. This does not mean that you will not be challenged through difficult circumstances, but it does mean that you can depend on Me to bring you through every situation in victory, says the Lord. Psalms 107:30 Then they are glad because they are quiet; so He guides them to their desired haven.

No comments: